Telephone Numbers ------------

springwood hospital - +61 2) 4751 0300

Aged Care Information Line:  1800 500 853

Aged Care Standards and Accreditation Agency:

NSW / ACT: (02) 9633 2099

Aged Care Complaints Resolution Scheme:  1800 550 552

Advocacy Services:

NSW- The Aged-Care Rights Service:      (02) 9281 3600 or 1800 424 079

Commonwealth Carelink Centre:  1800 052 222

Centrelink provides a free financial information

service that may be helpful to you. To speak with a Centrelink

Financial Information Service Officer, please telephone 13 23 00

For information about aged care homes in your area, contact the

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222.


Residents in aged care can be asked to make two types of payment.

• Daily fees contribute towards your daily living costs, such as

nursing and personal care, meals, linen and laundry, as well as

heating and cooling. These have two parts:

– a basic daily fee, and

– an additional income tested fee for residents who have a

higher income.

• Accommodation payments contribute towards the cost of your

accommodation in an aged care home. You only pay this if your

assets exceed an amount set by the Australian Government. This

is agreed with your aged care home when you move in and will

be either:

– an accommodation bond, if you are in low level care, or an

extra service place (with low or high level care needs); or

– an accommodation charge, if you are in high level care.

Only aged care homes that are certified by the Australian

Government as meeting required standards of accommodation can

charge accommodation payments.


If you own a home, it will not be counted as an asset for pension

purposes for up to two years after you enter the aged care home.

Your family home will continue to be excluded from the pension

assets test if your spouse or partner continues to live there after you

move into an aged care home.


It is not compulsory for everyone entering aged care to undergo

an assets assessment. If you choose not to have an assets

assessment, you can expect to be asked to pay an accommodation

bond (to be negotiated between you and the home), or the maximum

amount of accommodation charge, as applicable.

The purpose of an assets assessment is to determine whether

you may be eligible to pay an accommodation bond or an

accommodation charge, or if the aged care home is eligible to

receive an Australian Government subsidy on your behalf. The

Government currently subsidies the accommodation costs of

residents, either partially or fully, if their assets are below the upper

assets threshold. Information on the threshold can be obtained by

phoning the Aged Care Information Line on 1800 500 853 (free call)

or from the Department’s website at

An assets assessment also helps to clarify the maximum amount of

accommodation bond or charge that you could be asked to pay.

Centrelink and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs undertake assets

assessments for new residents entering aged care.


Refer to Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre locations on the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre website

Telephone the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres on Freecall™1800 052 222 (calls from mobile phones are charged at applicable rates)




New South Wales

NSW: South East Sydney

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre South East Sydney


Level 4, 7-11

The Avenue




To apply for an assets assessment a person or their authorised representative must complete a “Permanent Residential Aged Care – Request for an Assets Assessment” form. This form is available from the Aged Care Assessment Team who determines eligibility for residential aged care or by contacting the Aged Care Information Line on 1800 500 853*.


Financial Hardship Assistance

Financial hardship provisions are there for residents who would face genuine financial hardship if they were required to pay an accommodation payment. To receive an application for financial hardship assistance call the Aged Care Information Line on 1800 500 853*.


A free Financial Information Service is available to all people through Centrelink. To make an appointment call Centrelink on 13 23 00*.


What is an accommodation charge?

If your assets are over a certain threshold, and you enter high level

care, you may be asked to pay an accommodation charge. For more

information, see page 24. The accommodation charge is an amount

paid daily in addition to the basic daily fee and any income tested fee.

As with bond amounts, the accommodation charge is used by aged

care homes to maintain and improve your accommodation.

The amount you pay as an accommodation charge must be agreed

between yourself and the aged care home when you move in.

However, the Australian Government sets the maximum figure you

can be asked to pay. This is calculated on a sliding scale, depending

on the value of your assets. In addition, you cannot be asked to pay

an accommodation charge that would leave you with less than a set

level of assets.

You have up to 21 days after entering a home to enter into an

accommodation charge agreement.

How do I agree on the amount of

accommodation bond or charge?

The Australian Government requires that all residents are left with

a minimum amount of assets after they pay their accommodation

bond or charge. This amount is indexed on 20 March and

20 September each year, and can be found on the Department’s

website at

Accommodation bond or accommodation charge agreements

may be included as part of a resident agreement.

Resident agreements are discussed in more detail in Step 5: Moving

and Settling In.

Your bond or charge agreement should clearly state the amount

you have agreed to pay, and the method by which you will pay. For

instance, you may agree to pay all or part of your bond by periodic

payment. If you pay all or part of the bond as a lump sum, the

agreement will also need to specify the monthly retention amount.


How much will a resident pay?

The Department of Health and Ageing or the aged care home will advise the maximum amount of accommodation charge that a resident may be asked to pay, based on the value of their assets.

If a resident chooses not to have an assets assessment, or their assets are above $102,544.00, the amount of accommodation charge they may be asked to pay will be the maximum applicable rate. This is currently $30.55 per day for all residents.